Q. What is the difference between electric shock and electrocution?
A. Quite simply electrocution is death by electrical shock.
Q. Should I convert my fuse panel to circuit breakers?
A. Fuse boxes are fine if they are in good condition and have not been altered. A fuse will actually blow before a breaker will trip. But the danger comes when a homeowner replaces a blown fuse with the incorrect size fuse. This causes a fire hazard. Also if you are going to sell your home a home inspector will likely recommend having it changed.
Q. Can I change a breaker that keeps tripping with one of a larger size?
A. No. A breaker is sized accordingly with the wire it is connected to. The breaker is sized to protect the wiring from overheating and potentially causing a fire.
Q. Should I have my Federal Pacific or Wadsworth electric panel replaced?
A. Yes. These panels are known for not tripping when they are supposed to and causing wiring to melt and potentially cause fires. They are old technology and unsafe for the home of business. In addition finding replacement breakers is expensive and can be hard to find.
Q. Why has my receptacles in my garage, bathrooms, basement, and outside quit working?
A. This may be a quite simple solution and this may save you a service call. If your home was built in the 1980’s or later then you may have a tripped ground fault receptacle somewhere. These are the receptacles with the buttons. You may find these outlets in any of the areas listed. Most of the time they are found in a bathroom or a garage. (Usually behind all the boxes and storage) When you find the receptacle press the reset and the problem might be resolved.
Q. What is a Ground Fault Receptacle (GFCI)?
A. Without getting to technical a GFCI is a device used to protect a person form electrical shock or electrocution when working around water or where moisture may come into contact with electricity. That’s why all receptacles outside, in bathrooms, kitchens, garages, and unfinished basements should have GFCI protection. GFCI devices should be tested regularly.
Q. Why should I have a whole house Surge Suppressor installed on my electric panel?
A. A whole house Surge Suppressor protects your appliances that are not protected by power strips such as refrigerators, microwaves, dishwashers, toasters, furnaces, air conditioners, washers and dryers. These appliances all may have electronic boards in them which are vulnerable to transient voltage surges. It also gives additional protection to the power strips with surge protectors. The whole house surge suppressers we install come with an additional insurance that will cover you if the surge gets past the device.
If you have any other questions please feel free to call or email anytime!
Call (859)-982-8802 to make an appointment
9757 Whispering Way, Alexandria, KY 41001, (859) 982-8802, firstname.lastname@example.org